Other Financial Resources

To determine how much it will cost to attend college and learn about financial aid online, we recommend that you visit: finaid.org and collegeaffordabilityguide.org

If you would like to learn about how colleges determine your financial need eligibility we recommend that you visit: collegeboard.org

In general, there are four sources of Financial Aid available to students

Federal Student Aid

Federal Student Aid, a part of the U.S. Department of Education, is the largest provider of student financial aid in the nation awarding, more than $150 billion in federal grants, loans, and work-study each year to more than 13 million students paying for college or career school. Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step in applying for financial assistance. The FAFSA is available from October 1 – June 30 each year. We recommend applying as soon as possible in order to ensure maximum possible funding.
Apply To The FAFSA »

We recommend that all students complete the FAFSA regardless of family income. Some institutional scholarships do not take financial need into consideration but utilize the FAFSA form as their scholarship application. Keep reading to learn about Institutional Scholarships.

You can also apply through the myStudentAid mobile app, available for both iOS and Android! 
Learn More About myStudentAid »

California State Aid

The mission of the California Student Aid Commission is to ensure that “education beyond high school is financially accessible to all Californians”. Funding is available through the state for California residents or AB 540 eligible attending college in California. These grants are available from January 1 with a deadline of March 2. 

You Must File FAFSA Or CADA To Be Considered For State Aid
Learn More »

Middle Class Scholarship (MCS)

  • The Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) provides undergraduate students, including students pursuing a teaching credential, with family incomes and assets up to $177,000 a scholarship to attend University of California (UC) or California State University (CSU) campuses.
  • Beginning on October 1st through the March 2nd deadline, students may complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov or the California Dream Act Application (CADAA) at www.caldreamact.org. Use the California Dream Act Application if you do not have a Social Security number (SSN) or if you have a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) number. Make sure your email address is listed on your FAFSA or CADAA. Once you are accepted to a UC or CSU, you will automatically be considered for the MCS scholarship.
  • Students whose families have income and assets up to $177,000 per year may be eligible for a scholarship of no less than 10% and no more than 40% of the mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at the University of California and the California State University. 

Cal Grants

These grant opportunities are determined by the type of college attended, household size and income, and in some cases GPA. Funds are awarded on a first come first served basis.

Cal Grants At A Glance »
Application Instructions »

California Chafee Grant

Awards a maximum of $5,000.00 a year for job training or college in addition to other federal aid or state funding. To be eligible you must:

  • Have been in foster care between ages 16-18
  • Not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1st of the award year
  • Stay in school and maintain good grades
  • Be enrolled at least half-time
  • Doesn’t require a Social Security number

Learn More about the Chafee Grant »

Institutional Aid

Colleges have scholarships available for students based on grades, financial need and major. Check in with your college’s financial aid office to learn about scholarships and if there are any extra requirements that need to be completed in order to apply for funding. In addition, if you have declared your major we recommend checking in with your department, which may have access to more scholarships.

Outside Scholarships

There are numerous other scholarships available to student attending college, such as scholarships provided by the Humboldt Area Foundation & Wild Rivers Community Foundation. Our 2023 application will be available between January 15 and March 2. Check out the Scholarship Finder, a comprehensive site that allows students to search for scholarships offered by local schools, businesses, service clubs, and individuals. If you are a high school senior, we recommend checking in with your counselor on a regular basis about scholarships available throughout your community.

Local College and University Enrollment

Are you interested in attending College of the Redwoods or Cal Poly Humboldt? Please look at these tools to help you in your journey from enrollment to attendance! 

How Do I Apply To Cal Poly Humboldt?

Find out what steps you need to take toward enrollment. 
Learn More About Applying to Cal Poly Humboldt »

How Do I Apply To CR?

“College of the Redwoods offers a wide variety of accessible learning opportunities, including online classes and other distance education options. CR awards Associate of Arts and Associate of Science Degrees as well as a wide variety of career technical certificates for vocational and professional development. It is an accredited, two-year institution that has articulation agreements with major four-year universities. CR is committed to the success of each student.”
Learn More About Applying To CR »

Scroll to Top