Curry and Del Norte County organizations will have an easier time helping children to swim, eat healthy, do art, theater, gardening and learn job skills this summer after receiving $18,000 in mini grants from the Wild Rivers Community Foundation Wednesday, May 1.
At total of 23 groups from Port Orford to Crescent City received grants ranging from $250 to $1,500, courtesy of WRCF’s generous donors, businesses and other foundations who support the annual Summer Youth Mini Grant program, according to WRCF Director Gina Zottola. (See full list of donors below.)
“My heart is so full by all of you and the work that you do in our community,” Zottola said to a room full of grant recipients at Smith River’s Howenquet Hall. “I just want to say thank you. It’s really inspiring and I think it’s the reason we all live here.”
Del Norte County grant recipients included the California Redwoods Art Association, Del Norte Youth Football Inc., Gateway Education and RHS Harrington House’s Hope Garden project. Curry County recipients included Curry Public Library District, Rotary Club of Brookings-Harbor, Curry County 4-H and Oasis Shelter Home. (See full list of recipients below.)
“We’re very appreciative of Wild Rivers Community Foundation and all their partners who help make sure our program happens,” said Pamela Winebarger of the Brookings Harbor Community Helpers food bank. The organization provides much-needed snack packs to hungry children in Brookings during the summer break.
Native American teens interested in learning life and job skills are encouraged to sign up for the Tolowa Dee-ni’ Nation’s summer youth employment program.
“We’re going to take the funding and make sure the youth stay hydrated and have fruit and veggies in their lunch when they go out to areas where they don’t have food,” said Zachery Chapman, director for the employment program.
For more information about WRCF and its grant programscall 707-465-2138.
- Brookings-Harbor Community Helpers Food Bank
- California Redwoods Art Association
- California Tribal TANF Partnership
- Casa of Del Norte
- Coos Curry Charitable Foundation
- Crescent City Downtown Divas
- Curry County 4-H Leaders
- Curry Public Library District
- Del Norte Child Care Council
- Del Norte Youth Football, Inc.
- Del Norte Youth Soccer Association
- Family Resource Center of the Redwoods
- The Friends of the Coast Guard Auxiliary
- Gateway Education
- Oasis Shelter Home
- Coos Curry Electric Cooperative
- Pacific Power
- Patricia D. & William B Smullin Foundation
- R. Baird & Jane Rumiano Family Fund
- South Fork-Big Flat Endowment
- St. Joseph’s Health Systems, Humboldt,
- The California Endowment
- Gordon Elwood Foundation
- Gil H. and Ann Hess Memorial Fund
- Brattain Family Student Enrichment Fund